In the past two days I have recieved the same email from two different female family relatives. This email contains content that instructs a woman on bascially, how not to get raped or killed. Now I live in a relatively safe neighborhood and a city, both at school and at home... However, the one thing that really got to me in this email was this quote:
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
Quite frankly, I don't like that things, like this email, are made to make me feel paranoid. I know there are dangers out there and I know it happens to women. And I would rather be alive than dead but the whole thing has pissed me off, and I can't exactly pin point what it is. It might be that there are sick people out there, it might be the ridiculous rules that this email set, or it might be that it encourages me to live a paranoid life with my guard always up. Grrrrr.
It doesn't make sense that women should constantly have to check their cars for predators, or that for awhile my dad had me drive with a baseball bat in the passanger seat, or that two years ago everyone had to leave my workplace at the same time because there was a creepy guy that had been hanging around. Emails like the one I got warn that you should never be lulled into a false sense of security, and I want to know why I am not allowed to feel secure! I don't know if there is an answer for that.

2 comments:
I read this great list a few weeks ago that was like "How to Prevent Rape" or something and it basically consisted of stuff like:
If a woman is drunk, don't rape her.
If a woman says no, don't rape her.
If a woman is walking alone, don't rape her.
If a woman is dressed in high heels and a miniskirt, don't rape her.
And it went on and on and on. The issue pisses me off, too. Sure, we should teach people to be careful to avoid being raped, but how about we ALSO teach people not to rape each other?
Jacob, if you're respectful towards women then Hitler was a missionary. I can probably name about 20 times you've been disrepectful towards me or other girls, so I would just keep my mouth shut if I were you.
Post a Comment